Pen 2 Paper
a disability-focused creative writing competition
As always, we couldn't more grateful for or excited about the fantastic entries we received this year- from all around the world! And for the first time ever, we have a tie for the Grand Prize! Winners and finalists in each category are listed below. Entries posted with permission; authors retain all rights.
1st Place: Second Chair Daniel Rosen Read in
- Every Time It Snows Leah Angstman
- When Gliese Met Glasgow and Muira Made a Mint Dr. Suzanne Conboy-Hill Read in
- The Real Thing Randal Doering Read in
- Undiagnosed Elizabeth Lewis Read in
- Tree Planters Stephen Koster Read in
- The Complete Works of Min-Ju Kim Tristan Marajh
- No Toil, No Tranquility Eric Shonkwiler
- Your Loving Son, Ralph Bill Teitlebaum Read in
Thought Clouds Eric Witchey Read in
1st Place: Friday Night En(light)enment Jungin Lee Read in
- The Scene Where Everything Changes T.K. Dalton
- Perceptions Amelia Diaz Read in
- On Falling and Getting Back Up Mel Finefrock Read in
- Fiddler Crabs, Mosquitoes, and the Dreaded Yellow Bus Heidi Johnson-Wright Read in
- No Different to Anyone Else Glynis Scrivens Read in
- Help Wanted Stephanie Torreno Read in
1st Place: Lady in Blue Jennifer Ruth Jackson Read in
- Touching Bill Cybonn Ang Read in
- To Be Happy Leah Angstman Read in
- At the Supermarket Barbara Blanks
- Gabriel's Coming William Cushing Read in
- A Daily Routine Amelia Diaz Read in
- Life with MS John Grey Read in
- With No Eyes Mark McCaig
- Perspective April Strader Read in
- A Slight Hesitation David Subacchi Read in
We'll be back in 2016; it's never too early to start working on your entry. See sidebar on the right to review contest rules and read past winners.
In the meantime, keep in touch! Sign up to receive periodic P2P updates by email, and join us at our (roughly) monthly Lion & Pirate open mics in Austin, co-hosted with VSA Texas at Malvern Books. Upcoming dates:
- Saturday, May 14, 7-8:30 pm
- Saturday, June 11, 7-8:30 pm
About the Pen 2 Paper Creative Writing Contest
CTD's annual Pen 2 Paper (P2P) creative writing competition seeks pieces of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and comics that treat the topic of disability. Whether or not you have experience as a creative writer; whether or not you have a disability, we want to hear your voice!
P2P is the ONLY disability-focused creative writing competition in Texas (correct us if we're wrong!). Our goals are to:
- give writers with disabilities a forum where they can share their work.
- bring awareness to disability issues through the arts.
- challenge all people of all ages to think, rethink, and express their stories, perspectives, fears, and discoveries about disability.
While P2P is based in Texas, people from other states or countries are welcome to enter.
Each year, entries are evaluated by a panel of volunteer judges, and prizes are awarded to the top entries in each category. Winners and finalists will be posted on P2P's website and given opportunities to share their work in public settings.
Local and state sponsors and volunteers help make the competition possible by contributing their time, expertise, products, services, and energy.