Pen 2 Paper
a disability-focused creative writing competition
Our deepest gratitude to everyone who entered Pen 2 Paper this year. We read some truly remarkable work and are proud to announce finalists in each division below. Entries posted with permission; authors retain all rights. Please note that starred entries may contain language or situations not suitable for younger readers.
Final results will be announced on October 30 at the Lion & Pirate open mic in Austin and posted here the next day.
- God's Scrubber Dr. Suzanne Conboy-Hill * PDF / Word
- The Bridge Maggie Denton
- The Bruised Banana David Douglas PDF / Word
- Sometimes If You're Lucky Sharon Gay PDF / Word
- The Time Change Peter Glassman
- Song of the Sea Caroline Greene
- Bobby Isn't Coming Any More Irving Greenfield, PhD
- Helluva Way to Die Ronald Hull *
- Framelight Michael Sano
- The Book-Safe Julie Thorndyke * PDF / Word
- Something Is Wrong in my World Edie Bakker
- A Father's Pride William Cushing PDF / Word
- Who's in Control? Phyllis Dolislager PDF / Word
- Miles to Go Mel Finefrock PDF / Word
- Purpose Caroline Greene
- The Sea of Love, the Sea of Madness: A Reflection on Our First Year with Lou Ashley Harper PDF / Word
- Scarring Deb Jannerson *
- Searching for the Right Words Wendy Kennar PDF / Word
- Pity Fatigue Janet "Kaye" Love, LPC PDF / Word
- Skunk Carol Murphy PDF / Word
- Life is Beautiful- Even When It's a Roller Coaster Debbie Roppolo PDF / Word
- Just Breathe Carrie Salberg
- Alcatraz Edie Bakker
- Living Reality Krystal Cates PDF / Word
- Nothing I Cannot Do Cassie H. PDF / Word
- Hanging Five Aboard the Stella Irene Sandy Hiortdahl PDF / Word
- To Reach for Hope Kellie Lewis PDF / Word
- I Remember Hannah Marier PDF / Word
- Things Had Changed for Good Andy N.
- Forbidden Bernadette Perez PDF / Word
- Poem for Carrie, a Flying Lesbian Barbara Ruth PDF / Word
- Words Carrie Salberg
- The Communication Device David Borden PDF
About the Pen 2 Paper Creative Writing Contest
CTD's annual Pen 2 Paper (P2P) creative writing competition seeks pieces of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and comics that treat the topic of disability. Whether or not you have experience as a creative writer; whether or not you have a disability, we want to hear your voice!
P2P is the ONLY disability-focused creative writing competition in Texas (correct us if we're wrong!). Our goals are to:
- give writers with disabilities a forum where they can share their work.
- bring awareness to disability issues through the arts.
- challenge all people of all ages to think, rethink, and express their stories, perspectives, fears, and discoveries about disability.
While P2P is based in Texas, people from other states or countries are welcome to enter.
Each year, entries are evaluated by a panel of volunteer judges, and prizes are awarded to the top entries in each category. Winners and finalists will be posted on P2P's website and given opportunities to share their work in public settings.
Local and state sponsors and volunteers help make the competition possible by contributing their time, expertise, products, services, and energy.